Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Quackumentary Evidence



OK, so I was watching the DVD of the Jacques Perrin/Jacques Cluzaud documentary Travelling Birds (Le Peuple Migrateur) last night, and what should I see at about 8 minutes in, but the following sequence:
~Migratory ducks arrive in snowy landscape.

~Ducks settle down to weather out the cold and blustery night.

~Ducks awake in the morning. The blizzard has subsided.

~Ducks make many and sundry quacking noises.

~An avalanche begins and ducks fly away.

There you have it: a filmic record of a duck's quack starting an avalanche! (Sure, the film-makers try and make it look like the avalanche startles the ducks and causes them to take flight, but I believe the footage speaks for itself. Go rent the DVD. Tell me I'm wrong.)

In further news, this site reveals that scientists at Sanford University have carried out a comprehensive Duck Quack and Echo experiment, so those nitpickers who scoffed at my own exposé (no names except to say Universal Head) can now go view a (sniff) proper experiment.



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last ... professionals.

September 14, 2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger Bill C said...

I remember finding and reading the linked page after your previous post on quachos. Good article and experiments, except all they seem to prove is their ability to manipulate sound in special chambers. Oh, and the Duck past cliff .wav file is pretty cool... as an example of electronic f/x.

Don't mind me, I'm just playing "deviled-eggs for brains" advocate here.

September 15, 2005 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home