Thursday, October 20, 2005

It's All About Meme

Oh very well. Everybody else is doing it, who am I to resist blogging peer pressure? I include my own riffs.

Seven Things

7 Things I Can Do:

• Grow trees
• Tell a good ghost story
• Cook perfect roast chicken
• Prepare absinthe correctly (no, you don't set it on fire)
• Play mahjongg
• Write music and make money from it
• Understand the theories of emergent complexity
Make beautiful images


7 Things I Can't Do

• Reliably count to seven
• Fake any interest in sport
• Speak a foreign language (unless you count Thermian)
• Make smalltalk with very boring people
• Let bad punctuation go without comment
• Skin a rabbit
• Make an omelette without breaking eggs


7 Things That Scare Me

• Travelling on planes
• Dying of a prolonged disease
• That anyone takes Intelligent Design seriously
• The thought of biological warfare
• That so many people seem to like Big Brother
• Porcelain dolls with moving eyes
• The weird clicking sound that Grandma makes


7 Things That Don't Scare Me

• Speaking in public
• Horror movies
• Being abducted by aliens
• Speaking my mind
• Intelligent women
• Thunderstorms
• Imagination


7 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:

• See attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
• Smell the air of the Paleozoic
• Get a tattoo
• Make an astounding discovery
• Get a cybernetic augmentation
• Hear my music played as Muzak in a mall
• Not die


7 Random Facts About Me:

• I have a seven inch scar down my right wrist
• My ancestry can be traced to Devonshire in the 15th Century
• I have had one of my compositions played by a 70 piece orchestra
• I have seven goldfish in a pond in my backyard
• I once saw someone throw themselves under a train
• I have experienced all five senses in my dreams
• My stereo visual acuity is better than 99%


7 comments:

Blogger Bill C said...

Cybernetic augmentation... how could I forget this? D'Oh, now I have to make a new list!

What would be your first-choice augmentation?

And - semi-related - does the word "Augmentor" bring anything to mind? If you need a hint, think "dreams."

(I like your list, by the way. Nicely done.)

October 20, 2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger Joe Fuel said...

I'm with you one those porcelain dolls. Actually, dolls in general I just can't appreciate. But, I do think that the counting to seven thing might have something to do with the fact that you hang out with at least one cow...

October 21, 2005 12:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cate said...

I do say "Oh my freakin' Hades." Feel free to borrow/steal/use with abandon.

What a great list! I'm most impressed by the making money from the writing of music. Composition is a skill quite beyond my capacity.

October 21, 2005 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story.

October 21, 2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger nina h.pixie said...

you and ms. arkham have inspired me yet again. i posted my own set of seven earlier after reading both of yours. wheeee, long live the meme!

October 21, 2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I'm so unco. I seem to click "create a link" instead of "post a comment" each time.

Seven inch scar?? That's a rather large scar! Am I allowed to ask what gave you the scar? Now that's what I call some battle scar.

Tell a good ghost story

I don't like people like you when I go on camp trips.

October 21, 2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Jam: Dream augmentation? As in 'The Lathe of Heaven?' Long while since I read it...

I was thinking of something more like some kind of augmented vision perhaps... you know, night vision, or simultaneous vision with an aerial bot that is in your control... it's the spy in me.

Jen: Maybe I'll make a post about the scar sometime. It's a nice story. As for ghost stories, ah, well, maybe I'll do my best ghost story as a post too, but only if you all promise to read it by candlelight.

October 23, 2005 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home