Friday, November 18, 2005

Support Blogger's Rights



The Electronic Frontier Foundation is currently running an awareness campaign to raise funds and gather support across the blogosphere. I urge all my fellow bloggers, and also all you lurkers out there (oh yes, I can see you, you know) to get behind this great organization by either joining up, making a donation or carrying some EFF badges on your sites (or all of the above).

The EFF is a non-profit organization which actively campaigns to protect freedom of speech (and other human rights) in the digital world. If you've never heard of them, you should go to their site and check them out. If you are a blogger, these are some of the rights the EFF is fighting to protect for you:

♦Your right to blog anonymously.
♦Your right to allow people to comment on your blog without being held responsible for those comments (oooh yes, now couldn't that be troublesome?).
♦Your right to make fair use of intellectual property (to protect you from, say, being sued because you reviewed a book and quoted from it in that review).
♦Your rights in relation to blogging about your workplace.

And there are many others.

I live in Australia, and most of the law the EFF is helping to define relates only to US law. Nevertheless, as the net evolves, it is extremely likely that the legal scaffold that the EFF sets in place will be used as a guide elsewhere. So even if you live outside the US, I urge you to support the EFF if you are able.

Yes Sir!

5 comments:

Blogger Bill C said...

I'm sure it's unrelated or mere coincidence, how you release this post and I develop an apparently broken connection to perpetualocean.com, as in linkage from same doesn't load.

November 19, 2005 3:40 AM  
Blogger nina h.pixie said...

Oh that is such a joyous little image you have created! I will add an EFF banner and proudly fly it at Olla soon as I get a moment to do so. Cheers.

November 19, 2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Jam: Coincidence...? Is there such a thing? Is it working now - there doesn't seem to be any problem this end.

pixie: Can't take credit for the image - that also belongs to the EFF! But it's a good cause and propagating it through the blogosphere is an admirable object!

November 19, 2005 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want the right to comment without having people laugh at my comments.
I want the right to comment anonymously without having my comment deleted.

November 20, 2005 3:26 AM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Anonymous: No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. Here on The Cow you want people to laugh at your comments.

And I swear by the Holy Milking Pail that I will never delete a funny comment.

November 20, 2005 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home