Wednesday, March 01, 2006

meOW!



I am loathe to just pinch articles from boingboing but I'm afraid I had no choice but to make sure you all knew about The Cat Piano.

Yes, it's exactly what you think: the keyboard is connected to a mechanism that jabs a sharp spike into the bum of the appropriate cat, each of whom has been selected for the pitch and tone of its meow. Oh the cruel mirth.

I am obliged to recount that the brother of a certain reader of this blog has a variation of this instrument, called The Cat Bagpipes, in which the cat is held splayed in the arms in a manner that resembles bagpipes. The cat's tail is held in the mouth and upon the 'player' biting it, the cat then utters sounds not unlike the tones of a bagpipe.

Now before I get spammed by animal rights activists, I just want to say I don't condone this behaviour.

But it sure is funny.

7 comments:

Blogger Sefton said...

Have you seen the movie The Adventures of Baron Munchausen? Reminds me of the slave musical instrument that the sultan played for him.

March 01, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Joey Polanski said...

I remembr one o th Monty Python guys playin a song by bangin on squeakin mice wit mallets.

March 01, 2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Bill C said...

I want .wav files. Even faked ones would do.

March 02, 2006 1:22 AM  
Blogger Joe Fuel said...

I would tend to agree with you. I think it's hilarious. However, I wouldn't mind some hate mail. I think it might make some terrific blog-fodder.

March 02, 2006 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, the eminent Australian writer L--- B------- had an instrument called the Boffophone which consisted of his part siamese car Boffin being held cradled in the arms whilst one "pumped" her belly with the forearm. She sounded out the most terrible howlings, but having played the Boffophone myself, I can attest to holding her very loosely and she never made any attempt to escape.

March 03, 2006 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... er, cat ...

March 03, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger nina h.pixie said...

Ha! How funny!

My husband traced this same piece of artwork about 20 years ago from a small greeting card that his mother sent him years ago for his birthday. He then used a large opaque projector to make it even bigger so he could re-draw the entire thing onto a piece of canvas. It's been hanging on our kitchen wall for about 10 years now. Never seen it anywhere else until now.

When I look at this artwork each day it always makes me think of that scene in Terry Gilliam's film, Baron Munchausen (just found a link to another place that thinks the same thing about this same piece of art).

March 10, 2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home