Saturday, November 26, 2005

Free Range?

(Or: 'As Sure as Iggs is Iggs')

OK, so you probably all have gathered that I went away for a few days and while I can tell you where I went (Wellington, New Zealand) and what I did (visited some friends working on the sound crew of Peter Jackson's new film 'King Kong') I can't tell you anything else because I have signed forms in blood and in triplicate that forbid me from doing so on pain of quite unpleasant punishment.

I will however tell you an amusing story. It's 5.20am this morning in Wellington airport, I'm on my way home. I have checked my luggage through and am drinking a really awful coffee when an announcement comes across the loudspeaker:

"Will passengers Lee and Robson please go immediately to the chicken counter. Passengers Lee and Robson to the chicken counter. Your flight is waiting to depart."

Now I know it was really early and I was half asleep, but I totally swear on the Holy Milking Pail, that I wondered for several minutes why the hell they had someone counting chickens in the airport, and how dare Lee and Robson leave this obviously time-consuming task to the last minute.

And people think Australians talk funny.

18 comments:

Blogger Sefton said...

I think that being forced to wear those orange tights would be much worse than the windlass and entrails. You can just tell that the man painted as Christopher Walken really enjoys wearing them.

November 26, 2005 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,repeat after me "six" "pool" "Australian".You DO talk funny

November 26, 2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Ah, you can pritind to be anonymous JV but you ain't foolin' The Cow.

November 26, 2005 4:42 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

My cousin Daniel once told me about this place in Seatoun that had fantastic 'old fish and lemonade'.

It took me at least fifteen minutes to decode.

(Apologies to all you Yanks, I'm sure you're finding this impenetrable... maybe I should do an interpretation guide...)

November 26, 2005 5:05 PM  
Blogger Joey Polanski said...

No need t hurry, Lee an Robson. Yer flite aint leavin witout yas. Chickins cant fly!

November 26, 2005 5:11 PM  
Blogger Sefton said...

I get the iggs but not the old fish and lemonade. I'll just sit here quietly in the corner and hope that I get it...eventually.

(made a typo first time 'round)

November 26, 2005 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guessing: old fish and = old fashioned

November 27, 2005 12:28 AM  
Blogger Sefton said...

Ah, yes, it's all clear to me now. Thanks, Undercovercookie.

November 27, 2005 1:19 AM  
Blogger JillWrites said...

i've had a lot of practice decoding australian lately. it's the canadians that i really love to mock. "t's thet oll aboot?"

November 27, 2005 3:22 AM  
Blogger Bill C said...

Someone is making fun of Lee and Robson because they're afraid to fly. "No problem, folks. We realize some people experience a fear of flying. Although the fear is completely irrational we know you *cough*losers*cough* can't help it. We make special accommodations for our aviophobic passengers. There'll be an announcement about this before general boarding begins, so listen for instructions when we call your names. And don't worry, we'll take care of you."

November 27, 2005 4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee and Robson obviously had to count their chickens before they hatched. Standard procedure over here.

November 27, 2005 7:44 AM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Is it cheaper to fly on a chicken than on a plane?

November 27, 2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger Sefton said...

Chickie: Booooo... What a fowl joke...

November 27, 2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger Sefton said...

Pete, I need your address. I found you a gift that you can't live without!

November 27, 2005 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,lay off our language.I dont make fun of your country's Prime Minister,foreign policy, or its appalling race realtions record.

Oh.

Sorry.I do.

November 27, 2005 4:25 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Feel quite free to make fun of those things. Except make sure you don't do it while you're here, because thanks to our newly passed Sedition laws they can probably throw you in jail for it.

Ah, Democracy, how we love it!

November 27, 2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

jedimacfan: Oh, you are so totally NOT getting my address.

November 27, 2005 9:53 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

undercovercookie: Your translation skills are immaculate.

November 27, 2005 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home